Well, we all want the best for our pets or in case of this article for our guinea pigs. We all like pampering our guinea pigs a lot because they are the cutest creature anybody could own. What do you think, Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cheese? We should be well aware of what they should eat and what they should not eat and what is healthy for them and what is not healthy for them. Let’s find out more in the article below!
- 1 Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cheese?
- 2 Alternative to cheese
- 3 Best Guinea Pig Food
- 4 FAQs
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cheese?
No! Guinea pigs cannot eat cheese or any other dairy product. This is because you must be aware of the fact that they cannot digest dairy products i.e. they are highly lactose intolerant, their digestive system is not built for it. They lack the enzyme which is built for the breakdown of dairy items. So, in that case, if they eat cheese, they might have stomach and digestion problems.
Why Should You Feed Cheese To Your Guinea Pig?
As mentioned before that guinea pigs are lactose intolerant so if they eat cheese, they might have digestion problems and stomach related problems. So, the general advice is that don’t feed your guinea pigs cheese ever!!
There are not any benefits of feeding cheese to your guinea pig are not a lot just some vitamins and minerals which can be found in other fruits and vegetables in a lot more quantity. Cheese contains a lot of fat, salt, and calcium which in itself can cause a lot of harm to your guinea pig.
So, the best thing you could give to your guinea pigs is only fruits and veggies. They are highly beneficial to them.
Why Should You Not Feed Cheese To Your Guinea Pig?
There are various reasons as to why you should not feed cheese to your guinea pig. Some of them are:
- Cheese contains a lot of sodium, cholesterol, and fats which are not good for guinea pigs at all. They can harm their cardiovascular system and dangerous for them when consumed in huge quantities. The cholesterol can be a problem to blood flow in your body. Sodium can raise the blood pressure of a person. And we very well no excess fat can be harmful to the heart of the guinea pig.
- We also very well know that cheese contains a lot of calcium and phosphorus and they might be good for us humans but they are not good for the health of guinea pigs. These can make bladder and kidney stones and also, they can cause pain while urinating, bloody urine, and infection in the urinary tract.
- The worst part is that cheese does not have vitamin c content at all. So, if this vitamin is not getting into his body at all then there is no use of eating cheese. without vitamin c they will get a scurvy disease which can be fatal.
- We have discussed this before that eating cheese cause harm to guinea pig’s digestive system and they might have stomach problems. It can get worse as they can have diarrhoea as well. Oh, and this is not even the worst part cheese contains some part of sugar as well and the guinea pigs cannot even digest that as well.
So how good does the idea of feeding guinea pigs cheese look? Bad right!? Yes, it is really bad so never give them cheese to eat.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cheese Snacks?
No, Guinea pigs cannot each cheese snacks and serving the guinea pigs any item related to cheese would be a bad idea that includes cheese puffs, cheese balls, and cheese string.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cheese Slice?
No, Guinea pigs cannot eat even a slice, a slice also can be very harmful to guinea pigs. They might get sick and have digestion problems.
Alternative to cheese
- Timothy hay
Best Guinea Pig Food
Offering fresh veggie treats every day is a great way to ensure your cavy is getting the nutrients it needs. But that shouldn’t be the only thing you feed them. Guinea pigs are vegetarians but can have different nutritional requirements to humans, which is why they should eat specially formulated guinea pig food too.
Your guinea pig is more than just a pet. It’s a companion to love, and you can make sure that your furry friend stays happy and healthy with these top 3 guinea pig foods based on our expert reviews.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Perfect For Picky Eaters
- Vet Recommended
- Premium Quality
- Nutrient Rich
- Vet Recommended
- Scientifically Formulated
- 100% Complete Nutrition
- Maintains Shiny Coat
What Foods Can Kill Guinea Pigs?
Guinea Pigs cannot eat bindweed, buttercups, chocolate, cereal, celandine, citrus fruit, and dairy product of any kind.
What is Guinea Pig’s Favourite Food?
Well, every guinea pig-like different types of food. But they can eat all types of fruits and veggies. One thing for sure that the guinea pigs would like is grass and most of them are beneficial for them.