Well, we know both rabbit and guinea pig are almost the same. They look alike, they both are cute and are fun to have as a pet. But here are we are just talking about the outer structure and not the inner bodily functions, so is there structure also the same? do they also eat the same type of food or not?
- 1 Can Guinea Pigs Eat Rabbit Food?
- 2 Best Guinea Pig Food
- 3 Alternatives To Rabbit Food For Guinea Pigs
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion:
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Rabbit Food?
No, Guinea pigs cannot eat rabbit food for various reasons but rabbits, in turn, can eat guinea pig’s food. So, from this, we know that guinea pigs are different after all. Well, various questions would be coming up in your mind. For one it must be why can’t they eat the same food that is being fed to rabbits after all they both are vegetarians only? Well, one thing we know that both of them eat veggies and fruits only, but we must also remember guinea pigs only requires the food that contains a substantial amount of vitamin C which only specific foods contain, unlike rabbits who can make it on their own.
Why Should You Feed Rabbit Food To Your Guinea Pigs?
Feeding rabbit food to guinea pigs can be a lot risky considering it lacks the most essential nutrient vitamin c which is necessary for guinea pig’s growth and its immunity system.
Why Should You Not Feed Rabbit Food To Your Guinea Pigs?
Apart from some foods not having vitamin c content present in them, there are also some more reasons for not feeding rabbit food to guinea pigs:
- Some of the rabbit foods are hard and they can cause choking problems to guinea pigs. Some of the foods like seeds and nuts are hard to chew so our cute pets might choke and can cause harm to their life as well. And trust me I have been through such a situation with my guinea pig and I understand how life-threatening it can be. The rabbit and guinea pigs have a different structure overall.
- Rabbit foods can also cause allergic reactions to the guinea pig’s body as you must know that guinea pig’s immune system is not that strong that is also the reason they need a permanent supply of vitamin C and that can also be the reason they are so much prone to diseases. And this allergic reaction can cause vomiting and even diarrhoea in their body which will cause their health to deteriorate.
Although even if he eats such type of food don’t worry you can give them lots of water and take them to a vet immediately.
- Sometimes you must also have seen that most rabbits are chubby. One of the reasons might be that most of the food that rabbits eat contains lots of fat and protein. And both of them in large amounts is dangerous for guinea pigs. They can pose a greater risk to their health and can also make their cardiovascular system week. And you wouldn’t want them to grow like this right? Fat and also weak. You would want to provide them with a proper meal and a balanced diet.
- Rabbit foods lack various nutrients which can cause disease and deformities in the health of guinea pigs. And not to forget the scurvy illness which is caused by a deficiency in vitamin c and you know how essential vitamin c is for guinea pigs. Also, another problem with eating rabbit food is the lack of growth, especially in bones. Rabbit food lacks vitamin k which will provide your guinea pigs with enough calcium for the growth of guinea pigs.
- Rabbit food contains some antibiotics that can be harmful to the guinea pigs which is a very big problem. Like penicillin is an antibiotic which when goes into your guinea pigs’ mouth even can lead to their death. So, you can see the seriousness of the situation for not allowing your guinea pigs to eat rabbit food.
Best Guinea Pig Food
Offering fresh veggie treats every day is a great way to ensure your cavy is getting the nutrients it needs. But that shouldn’t be the only thing you feed them. Guinea pigs are vegetarians but can have different nutritional requirements to humans, which is why they should eat specially formulated guinea pig food too.
Your guinea pig is more than just a pet. It’s a companion to love, and you can make sure that your furry friend stays happy and healthy with these top 3 guinea pig foods based on our expert reviews.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Perfect For Picky Eaters
- Vet Recommended
- Premium Quality
- Nutrient Rich
- Vet Recommended
- Scientifically Formulated
- 100% Complete Nutrition
- Maintains Shiny Coat
Alternatives To Rabbit Food For Guinea Pigs
- Carrot tops
- Curly kale
Can Guinea Pigs Have Rabbit Food Temporarily?
No, Guinea pigs cannot even have rabbit food temporarily. You should be aware of the fact that eating rabbit food could only worsen your guinea pig’s health.
Are Rabbits And Guinea Pig Pellet The Same?
Yes! They are almost the same except for the fact that rabbit pellet lacks vitamin c.
I will never recommend you to not ever feed rabbit food to your guinea pig. I have once faced such a circumstance and since that day I decided not to ever feed my guinea pig this rabbit food. They lack vitamin c and also contain antibiotics that can do a lot of harm to your guinea pig. Even put your guinea pig’s life under threat.
So why should we do that to our guinea pig? Let them suffer? When there is plenty of other food available for them to eat. That can provide them with a healthy and well-balanced diet.