Well, We know that for us humans onion is healthy and also onions are easily affordable by everyone. But what is the case with animals, is it healthy for them? Or in this case for guinea pigs, is it safe for them to eat Onions?
- 1 Can Guinea Pigs Eat Onions?
- 2 Best Guinea Pig Food
- 3 What Kind Of Onions Can Guinea Pigs Eat?
- 4 How To Properly Feed Onions To Your Guinea Pigs?
- 5 Alternatives To Onions For Guinea Pigs
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion:
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Onions?
NO! Guinea pigs cannot eat onions as they are considered to be highly toxic. It contains compounds disulfide and thiosulphates that are toxic for guinea pigs. Even if you give them small amounts that would also be toxic. The red blood cell can get damaged even if you eat a very small amount of it. Therefore, it is highly advisable for you not ever feed your guinea pigs onions.
Why Should You Feed Onions To Your Guinea Pigs?
Well, it is already told not to feed onions to your guinea pigs because they are toxic. So there is hardly any benefit in telling you the benefits it can give. Although, the only benefit I can tell you is that it contains vitamin C which is in itself a great benefit. But since due to their toxicity they cannot be consumed so they won’t get any benefit by consuming onion. Feeding onions to guinea pigs cannot only harm to the urinary tract but also other internal and external organs of guinea pigs. And one must not forget that alone the aroma and taste come out too strong for their fragile stomach.
Why Should You Not Feed Onions To Your Guinea Pigs?
There can be several reasons why you should not feed onions to your guinea pigs:
- Well for one reason we can say that it contains calcium which can cause problems to the urinary tract. calcium will pipe up with their kidneys and which will develop urinary stones and when they will urinate it can be really painful. There are chances of blood in urine or urine infections, so you can see where I am going with this, so eating onions can be harmful to guinea pigs.
- Another reason can be that it contains both fibre and sugar and having both in a vegetable can cause problems to guinea pig’s stomach. They will have painful digestion, loose tools and not to forget gastrointestinal complications.
- And we have already mentioned about disulfide, they can cause problems to the respiratory system of guinea pigs. They are so toxic that they can destroy the red blood cells of your guinea pig which are the main carriers of oxygen in their body. This will develop breathing problems in their body and the lack of oxygen will deteriorate the health and can cause anaemia. That will result in loss of appetite, weight loss, paleness, and fatigue. And you know these are not the good signs at all!!
So it is advisable not to feed onions to guinea pigs at all!!
Best Guinea Pig Food
Offering fresh veggie treats every day is a great way to ensure your cavy is getting the nutrients it needs. But that shouldn’t be the only thing you feed them. Guinea pigs are vegetarians but can have different nutritional requirements to humans, which is why they should eat specially formulated guinea pig food too.
Your guinea pig is more than just a pet. It’s a companion to love, and you can make sure that your furry friend stays happy and healthy with these top 3 guinea pig foods based on our expert reviews.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Perfect For Picky Eaters
- Vet Recommended
- Premium Quality
- Nutrient Rich
- Vet Recommended
- Scientifically Formulated
- 100% Complete Nutrition
- Maintains Shiny Coat
What Kind Of Onions Can Guinea Pigs Eat?
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Red Onion?
No, Guinea pigs cannot eat red onion because like any other onion they are toxic as well. They can cause the internal cell organs of guinea pigs to suffocate because they can damage your red blood cells which are responsible for the supply of oxygen into the guinea pig’s body. Even a slice of it cannot be fed to guinea pigs it is that harmful.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Shallots?
No Guinea pigs cannot eat Shallots just like. They also contain disulfide and thiosulphate which areas already told harmful to their health and can damage the red blood cells, even when given small amounts.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Scallions?
No, Guinea Pigs cannot eat scallions, also known as green onions. They are also considered as life-threatening to guinea pigs as other onions. Although here the top layers are not toxic at all so if you feel like you can give it to them because they are also high in vitamin. But just make sure that before giving them to guinea pigs you wash them properly because they might contain chemicals and pesticides in them.
How To Properly Feed Onions To Your Guinea Pigs?
Well, it is highly advisable not to feed them onions at all after the reasons I have told you.
Alternatives To Onions For Guinea Pigs
- Green Hay
- Carrot Tops
What is Poisonous to Guinea Pigs?
Some highly dangerous foods for Guinea Pigs are cereal, nuts, grains, onion, potato tops, mushroom, avocado, dried beans, corn, peas, buttercups, etc.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cucumber?
Yes! Guinea pigs can eat cucumber. It contains Vitamin C which is healthy, just feed them in a raw form and you’re good to go!
Well, It can be clearly be said by the above statement that onions are highly toxic and if you want to feed them onion than you are just putting your guinea pig’s life into big danger. Even if they eat a small amount that can also destroy the internal and external organs.
They contain two compounds disulfides and thiosulphates which are in itself very harmful. So never serve onions to guinea pigs!!